Thursday, September 13, 2012

Everneath (Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton


Summary from Goodreads:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

"Everneath" is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton.

My Review:

WOW! Definitely WOW!

That is all I can say after I finished reading this one. An absolutely beautiful story. A fresh and new touch to the mythology of Persephone. Ahhh. Just beautiful.

The first page of the book itself was drawing. It made me curious that I can't wait to flip to the next page. I believe that's one factor every book should have. To be able to draw the readers attention on it's first sentence or it's first page. And this one has it.

The writing is easy to read. The imagery was beautiful. I love how Brodi Ashton describes things. Not to shallow, but not too deep either. I love Greek Mythology so I found this read really interesting. It did not just tackled the one about Hades and Persephone but also about Orpheus and Eurydice which by the way, is one of my favorites. I loved how she placed those stories in this book.

The characters are also lovable. I had a battle with myself until the last few pages on who I'm rooting for. Whether Jack or Cole. I got to admit though, Nikki is pretty annoying. I disliked how she can't be honest with the people around her especially Jack. I feel really sorry for Jack regarding this. I hated it when you wanted to be near that person the most, but can't help but keep away from him. Yes, she is torn like that. 

Jack is, *sigh*, romantic, understanding, swoon-worthy, loyal, and every girl would love to have. I felt sorry for him. That he had to go through something terrible brought about by Nikki's disappearance. He's a hero. My gosh! I still can't believe he was willing to do that!

And there's Cole. I like Cole despite what he is. He is especially drawn to Nikki. Although I don't approve of him wanting to drag Nikki down to the depths of Everneath and make her queen, I can't help but find him admirable and well, lovable. Ughh! I both want him and Jack to be mine! Bwahaha! ;)

Anyway, yes, I loved, loved, loved this book. And Argggghhh! the ending! Why, oh why did it have to be like that??? WHYYYYY???!!!! I've got to read the next book soon or I'll die! ;)

5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment