Thursday, September 13, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor


Summary from Goodreads:

Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 


Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

My Review:

WARNING: This review may contain tiny spoilers.. ;D

I have delayed purchasing this book for months before I actually bought it. For one, I was already tired of angel stories and was scared to be disappointed again. And second, the summary at the back of the book didn't really sound appealing to me. But then, I stumbled upon this book here at Goodreads and was surprised by it's high ratings and high praises. And so I immediately ran to the bookstore and grabbed my own copy, with my fingers crossed.

And boy! I can't believe I actually doubted this book. This is just the perfect paranormal version of Romeo an Juliet! (I have a fetish for forbidden love stories) It's Romeo and Juliet in a way that they are enemies and just like that, there love doesn't really end happily. Although this isn't the end yet since there's a sequel coming up. But then the ending of this book was actually about Karou and Akiva parting.

What made me absolutely adore this book is Karou. She's not just your average dansel in distress heroine. She actually can fight! Okay not really the warrior kind of girl but definitely the I can kick your butt kind of girl. She's also been into different places, and I mean places like Paris and Africa. And she also lives in Prague which is awesome!

She's also the first book character to make me love monsters and see them as the good guys rather than the scary and bad guys. And did I mention that her hair color and art works rock? Yeah, totally!

Then there's Akiva. He's a seraph who kills chimera. His first encounter with Karou is actually a fight with her since our feisty heroine is a human raised by chimeras and has their mark on her palms. And ever since that fight, he starts to develop these strong attraction towards her in ways he couldn't understand. Akiva is the tough and vulnerable kind of guy you can't help but love him. 

And Kaz! Oh! I am so looking forward to reading about him. He is Karou's ex-boyfriend who seems to still have this thing for her. I wish there was more of him and I'm hoping there will be more of Kaz in the next book. I'm looking forward to a love triangle here.. haha!

This boowrtuk is just breathtaking! There's a beautiful plot, lovable characters, wonderful descriptions and imagery, and very interesting inside stories. It's just so good I'm scared my words won't do justice in describing how great it is. But here's all I can say, this is the angel book we have been waiting for! ;D

5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment